Thursday, January 18, 2007

sick of standing by

After months of periodically checking in and seeing other people's posts, I finally found something worth ignoring my poor typing skillz for and posting about-- this. This delicious human-interest article from the New York Times profiles all the different types of jerks and how they have gradually combined forces to convince us to expend tons of time, energy and money dealing with their broad rainbows of bullshit in a society where no one can tell anyone else to go to hell anymore.

The library is full of 'em: Mr. I Can't Find My Book and It's All Your Fault but Really I Don't Know How to Read Call Numbers; Mrs. I'm Not Leaving My Dissertation Research Even Though There's a Fire Alarm; Mssr. and Mlle. Have Sex in the Stacks; Dr. I Manage to Combine All the Frustrations of Someone Who Can't Speak English and Doesn't Know How to Use an Elevator. And let's not forget some of the more unfortunate and unpallatable past and present bookstaxxx employees: Ms. Whiny Bitch and Moan the Complainer; Mr. Know-it-all Arrogant Bastard; Little Miss Incompetent Dumb Slut; Prof. Sexual Harassment; and Mr. I'm Sure I Can Just Glide By on Others' Hard Work. They're all a daily strain. All blood-boilingly aggravating to the point that I have to visit cuteoverload.com just to get my blood pressure back down. You know, those people who can't wait for their shifts to end so you don't have to deal with them anymore.

The Times article brings up some good points about tolerance. About how you should try to empathize and see someone as a complete person and not simply the expression of their aggravating qualities. True, but I've been a very patient person and believe me, all these jerks are qualifiable assholes. And it's not me. It's them.

2 comments:

axl said...

Which past employee would I be: Mr. Know-it-all Arrogant Bastard or Mr. I'm Sure I Can Just Glide By on Others' Hard Work?

M.H. said...

Better yet, which library employee is Adam's bastard son? Bet you'd all like to know that little secret...